This semester I've been doing 100-hour 3-generation research project on the Bennett family. The three generations I'm studying are:
1. John Earl Bennett, son of...
2. William Jasper Bennett, son of...
3. John H. Bennett.
I have to admit. This project is for two classes, and my two professors have had me search several different places so far. Finding information on these folks has been quite difficult. I have a lot of clues, but it has been hard to track down solid information on these men. Some of the information I have is in the family tradition, but how much of that tradition is true?
As I've been searching for more clues to the puzzle, I've been thinking a lot. These men were ordinary folks, and we believe they were country folk, at that. (I love country folks. :) I've been able to find a few dates and places, but, as a girl, I want details. Who were these men? What did they do their whole lives? What was life like for them? What sort of struggles did they have? What were their triumphs? How was their family life? What can I learn from them, and how can I relate to them?
This gets me thinking even more. What will it be like for my descendants when they are looking for information on me? Will they know what I was like? Will they want to know what I was like? What sort of legacy will I leave behind in records for those who come after me to remember me by?
These three men are important to me; I wouldn't be here without them! I believe that, although they lived long before me, some of our experiences in life wouldn't be so unrelated after all. While I will never be able to learn their whole stories in this life, I can at least learn from the clues and try to imagine what life must have been like for them.
When I meet these ancestors in the next life, hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised at how much I know about them already.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteLoved your comments. It brought up some things that I have never thought of before. This has given me a new perspective on my own research.
Sarah, Nice thoughts. You make a good point for keeping our own records accurate and writing about our lives.
ReplyDeleteAmen! I firmly believe that as we study more about our ancestors, we become even more family than just family by blood. And yes, we must remember that family history includes leaving behind a history of OUR family. Thank you for the beautiful post!
ReplyDeleteI think when we meet others on the other side, that we will realize where some of our likes and dislikes came from because they will be just like us.
ReplyDeleteI love learning about my family because the more I learn about them, the more I learn about myself. I also gain a greater appreciation for my talents (those I can see have been inherited down through the family from them) and I feel a great responsibility to live up the legacy they left for me. It's true, we may never get to the point that we know everything about our ancestors, but that should give us the motivation to keep a record of our life and learn about the lives of our family members who are still alive!!!
ReplyDeleteFamily History is something that brings me great joy! I'm so glad that we have the opportunity to do it!
ReplyDelete