Saturday, February 6, 2010

Another clue about John's parents

John H. Bennett was enlisted in the military for the US Civil War. He applied for pension later on in life.
At the bottom of the General Affidavit that was filed in McDonald County, Missouri on 8 June 1909, John listed some information about his parents.

"As stated to me by those who claimed to know, I am 72 years old next September. My father died in 1847 and my mother one week later. This occurred in Edwards County, Illinois. They left no family records."


What a find! We've been stuck on finding his parents for years. I believe there probably are some records out there that John either didn't know about or didn't have access to.
I searched on FindAGrave.com to see if anything came up, but no luck as of yet. I did a search on FamilySearch.org, and there are definitely some microfilms that I want to look through. Maybe I can send for the death certificates. I swear I just learned something about where to search for midwestern vital records...like this week. It's time to search my notes from class.

Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Great find! See how little it takes to make us family historians happy. Neither my family nor my husband's family left any records, but I'm surprised at how many records there are to help us find our ancestors. We thank all the census takers,clerks (federal,state, county, city), librarians, journalists, and pack rats, ...through out history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family history is like a big puzzle! It is so exciting when we find a piece.

    ReplyDelete