- Censuses can give you a good outline for the basic research on your family. The information isn't always accurate (let's face it--memory is fallible, and census takers were sometimes inattentive or unaware that they were recording things incorrectly), but at least you get a good outline for your research and know the general dates and places (that's the hope, anyway).
- Don't just search for your family. If you find your family, scan a few pages before and after your family's entry. Families often lived near each other, but it may have been a street or two apart. That's information you don't want to pass up.
In the 1900 US Population Schedule for Missouri, I found John H. Bennett's family with a William J. Bennett living next door--John's son! John's other neighbor was a Sam Collins. William married Fannie Belle Collins, so at this point I believe that Sam is her brother. Between these three families, I found some exciting information.
So moral of the story--check carefully when doing census searches. You may find some invaluable information if you take the time to look for it.

Thanks for your comments. I agree!
ReplyDeleteThis is some good information. Thank you so much!
ReplyDeleteI have had to be an investigator when searching the census record indexes. You would not believe how many misspellings I have found for the surnames Olney and Tanner!
ReplyDeleteGreat research! Even with all their problems, I still love censuses as they can place people in towns or cities. Some of the other information can be a bit dodgy though.
ReplyDelete